“Active play” is as much about an approach to physical activity as it is about actively moving at a moderate to vigorous pace. Further more, active play can occur outdoors on outdoor playsets, or indoors, alone, or with friends and family. The freedom and possibilities offered by outdoor active play for children best promotes the benefits listed below.
Benefits of active play
Active play is important for a child’s overall health and development, even before a baby can walk or talk. Making time for active play everyday outdoors on backyard playground equipment helps to:
- maintain a healthy weight
- protect against diseases such as diabetes – throughout life.
- improve cardiovascular and musculoskeletal health.
- develop lifelong language and movement skills that are essential.
- develop critical social skills: sharing, negotiating, working in groups, resolving conflicts
- improve concentration, memory and classroom behavior.
- increase opportunities for development of emotional intelligence (e.g. empathy,flexibility, decision making, self-awareness and self-confidence).
Daily opportunities for active play outdoors (or indoors) will contribute to your child’s optimal development. Not only will active playtime provide foundations for lifelong physical activity behaviour, it also initiates the development of the skills, the knowledge and the attitudes that lead to active and healthy lifestyles